Friday, July 19, 2002

The Good, The Bad, and The Uncomely

Had a big scare yesterday. There was the "we're going to get laid off" vibe happening bad throughout the Team Redcard cave here at work around 2:30 pm, and then there was an announcement that there was going to be a team meeting to go over what was decided in the executive review two days previously set for 3pm. I started feeling just a bit queasy. I've been in the unemployment line more times than I'd care to count, and I was hoping to work here for...oh...say, the rest of my life.

The meeting was both good and bad. Bad in that Redcard 2 is now cancelled. Good in that we're being rolled into the Ballers team. (Read: Me = still gainfully employed). Bad in that a lot of the guys (including me) are unhappy about it. Everyone has their own reasons. Mine is due to me losing my title of Lead Animator on a project. Ballers already has a Lead Animator, and I'm not about to fight him for it. It's his game, and he earned it. Christ, the guy taught me everything I know about using the animation pipeline here at work. I'm not being demoted; I'm not losing any salary. I'm just losing the title and responsibility, and really, that was a big reason for me to wake up and go to work in the morning.

In other news, the Birthday was a fun lackadaisical day. I called in sick (because Liz called in sick since she honestly needed some more sleep), and opened my gifts first thing in the morning. It was like a mini-Christmas in July. Without snow. Or Christmas trees. Or anyone else getting gifts. The big surprise was Liz got me an Xbox, and a copy of Gotham Street Racer (or whatever the heck it's called). I switched off between Project Gotham and Warcraft III for the entire day, and wound up getting pretty far in both.

And in a combo-platter (Xbox and Redcard being cancelled) event, I went and bought Outlaw Golf for my Xbox last night on the way home because I was all depressed. I stayed up 'till about 1:30 am just playing the mini games and trying to unlock better clubs for my favorite character: Summer. Overcoming depression is such a weird thing. Some people eat. Others drink.

I game.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?