Tuesday, October 29, 2002

Call me Crocket

I managed to somehow wind up with a copy of Vice City in my hands today. It's selling out so fast, that the Best Buy that I went to was keeping the copies at the registers. I'm typically the unluckiest guy in the world when it comes to things like this (my prepay for it at the local GameStop was so late that I wasn't even on the list for the first shipment), so I don't know how I wound up with it today.

I was going to explain how the game works, but if you haven't heard of Vice City, or Grand Theft Auto 3 by now, you might want to crawl out from under that rock you've been hiding under.

All I have to say is that I could spend all day playing this game (which is why I did not put it in my debug PS2 while I was at work). My current "omigodthisissofreakingawesome!" addiction: grabbing a crotch-rocket* and seeing how long I can ride a wheelie, and then jam on the brakes and lean forward and see how long I can hold a nose-wheelie. All without flipping the bike over backwards or doing an endo**.

I'm supposed to be editing my video right now. Why must you give me so many good things to do at once, lord? Why must you make me choose?!?!

Maybe I can get a chip implanted that lets me play Vice City and edit video at the same time. ::glahghlagdroolghlag::

At any rate, there is something fairly noteworthy about this game: the stereotypes aren't so obvious this time around. There's a subtle air of complexity about this game, and how it's attempting to re-create the 80's so diligently. Gone are the blatant sore-thumb stereotypical gay flannel and tight shorts wearing construction workers and the little old ladies. Now the streets are populated by women roller-skating in bikinis, guys in Hawaiian shirts, and of course, the classic 80's Crocket look. I know it sounds corny and fairly stereotypical, but you're just going to have to take me at my word on this one.

*crotch-rocket: your average fast Japanese manufactured racing motorcycle you see Frat Boys driving.
**endo: ever go over the front handlebars of your bicycle? That's an endo.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?