Wednesday, May 07, 2003

A Sure Sign of the Apocalypse

Have you ever been driving down a highway, and nobody else was on it? This can be one of the most disconcerting things ever. Today on the way into work, as I turned onto 90, I noticed that there weren't any cars on the highway I was turning onto.

Driving on a highway during rush hour that has no other cars on it is straight out of some post-apocalyptic nightmare. The mind immediately starts to wander, did a bomb go off? Was there a plague? Am I the only person left on the planet? When your world is fully populated, having it suddenly unpopulated is startling and just a bit uncomfortable.

I'm imagining that going into a mall on a Saturday afternoon and finding all the shops open, all the lights on, but completely devoid of people would be equally disconcerting.

At any rate, at least no planes landed on my car.*

* I'm well aware that this link is like 5 years behind the hip curve.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?